- Do you think you will always be able to pick and choose your contracts? -Wrong. You work on what the client wants... and if jobs are scare, you take work where you can get it.
- Do you really think you have no boss? -Wrong. The client is the boss.
- No accounting? -Wrong. You now track hours, expenses, invoices, etc.
- No sales? -Wrong. You have to sell yourself for every bid.
- No marketing? -Wrong. Every client is a Word-of-mouth marketer for you.
So... by "starting even the simplest business", you've just made a bunch of work that you probably don't like doing. You've just created a bunch of bosses where you used to have only 1. And now you are working harder than ever. So why do it?
1 word: Profit.
The reason you work harder, you do the extra yicky work, etc. is because you can charge WAY MORE than you were before. As a variable resource, people will pay more for your services. You just have to keep the pipeline of work filled and you will rake in the extra 25-50% due a contractor/consultant.
If you are starting a business for more "freedom", you might get some... but Profit is a far better reason.