In addition, I am a gamer. What does that mean? It means I HAVE to have a new challenge, not just daily, but hourly. And big goals with big rewards, and big dragons = mega-appealing. Is there a bigger modern day dragon then a PhD Dissertation Committee? (maybe, if so, I'll slay that next!).
So, My Quest for a PhD officially begins this week; and I hope to write about the journey regularly here.
So, where to begin? This week I attend my first PhD classes. Honestly though, a lot has happened before this week....
- I scheduled a GMAT test & took it. (my score for my MBA was more than 5 years old)
- I contacted The University of Texas and researched many of their PhD programs in Marketing and Business. (including calls with teachers and current students).
- I rule this option out because I can't "go without salary" or "not consult until I've finished".
- I did lots of google searching on PhD Programs and learned that AACSB accreditation is VITAL to actually becoming a professor.
- I contacted several friends in PhD programs, including David Altounian, who introduced me to the three (and only three) programs that have an "Executive PhD" that is AACSB accredited.
- I called/researched the three programs.
- I went to an information seminar at Oklahoma State University.
- I was BLOWN away by the people, instructors, students, and program they have going on there.
- I applied, got references, wrote my entry essay... and then...
- I had to write a 14-page research proposal... just to be considered for admission. (REALLY)
- I like this: it separates hard workers & people who really want it from everyone else!
- I was accepted!!!!
- I decided, and NOW... this week... I begin my first week of classes.
So, for the next 3+ years, I'll be pursuing my PhD in Business Research (where I hope to specialize in Marketing).
This means 1 virtual class every Saturday + 3 days in Tulsa Oklahoma at Oklahoma State University. (yes, I'll be flying to Oklahoma as often as once per month!).
Special thanks to my bosses and managers at Creeris/Night Owl Games for agreeing to let me do this.
Now... off to class!!!!
Wish me luck on my PhD adventure. I'll keep you updated in return.