- Be the one who asks the most questions! (people like people that ask about them & listen).
- Be the one that "merges" groups of people/makes introductions (even to people you just met).
- Wear something flamboyant (a piece of flair)... it breaks the ice, and makes you memorable.
- Above all else, smile, have fun, and keep it light: nobody likes the serious one...
- Tell a VERY SHORT story or two.
- Ask lots of questions.
- Listen to peoples responses, and use what they say to make connections for them (ideally AT the event).
- PASS OUT and COLLECT business cards with anyone and everyone you find even remotely interesting or interested. Why not! It's the point of networking right?