Losing at sales is easy. Make a call, get rejected, give up, repeat. Very few sales-people do this... so their day gets FILLED with NOT GIVING UP! That's what you are paying the sales-person for: persistence.
Winning at sales is hard. I used to sell aerial photographs of peoples homes, now I've sold Killer NICs, Stock, and "the Karmaback viral marketing program"... each progressively harder. Here is a few of the things "I do all day"... and your sales-person should be doing too:
- Manage dozens/hundreds of contacts and leads: reaching out to them via email and phone to set up pitches, keep them updated, etc.
- Do 2 or 3 hour-long sales calls per day.
- Research existing leads before each call & email to be up to date on their business and products.
- Research new leads & beg friends for more leads.
- Build custom presentations & custom proposals & custom contracts for each lead & prospect.
- Learn/Practice everything about own company/products
- Beg for more assets, more demos, etc.
- ....I could go on and on....