So, what did I get out of this book? Here's a few takeaways... I've ordered a physical copy too, so I can better quote the book and use it as a writing reference (since I only read this on Audible so far).
- Meditation Increases Willpower.
- (the simple kind, where for 5-10min a day, you just relax and 'not think', but listen to your breathing)...
- (also, get enough sleep/and eat healthy.. it increases willpower (really))
- (learn to forgive yourself! based on Scientific research, forgiving your splurge will be MORE impact-full than punishing/blaming yourself!).
- The Chance of a Random Reward drives Willpower.
- (give yourself random rewards for successes, think of the goal/future self).
- (lotto tickets as a reward).
- (stay away from social settings that might make you lose in your willpower goal. Find mentors or sponsors who support your goal. Make your goal public.)
- (just thinking about your future self leads to greater power for iWant or iWont).
- (when you try 'not' to think of something, you end up thinking more of it... when you try to reject bad thoughts, you have them more and worse... in both case you ACT on them more. Instead, "accept" the thoughts, and then accept that you can control your actions.)
- (iWant power is easier than iWont. Dieting does NOT work. Wanting to eat 'more' of healthy foods does!).
Here's a great video by Dr. McGonigal about Willpower: